Thursday, June 14, 2012

One and One equals ?Hmmmm - Let me see.......

Am I the only woman who is completely dyslexic when it comes to shopping?   Today I bought about 350g of Italian cherries for CHF1.15 per 100g.  The notice above the Swiss cherries said they were CHF9.50 per kilo.  1.15 vs 9.50 = no brainer!  Triumphantly putting them into the shopping cart that OAP was wielding like a medieval weapon I felt so virtuous that I'd chosen the cheaper ones until he looked at the price tag and shrieked "Why the expensive Italian ones?"  I patiently explained my logic - he IMpatiently explained that 9.50 per kilo is cheaper than 10 X 1.15.  Finally I saw his point and took the cherries back and chose a bagful of the Swiss ones instead - what a laugh, they came to R5.95!  If he'd just left it with the Italian ones we'd have had less cherries but at a cost of CHF3.95!

This then brings me to the cocnut we bought last week.  After fiddling around trying to work out the cost of a whole coconut with milk inside (yum!) as opposed to coconut flesh chopped into inch lengths about half an inch wide.  I came to the conclusion that the ready cut ones were cheaper so put a handful or two into a bag and had it weighed - quelle horreur!  It came to CHF15!!  I then again realised that it was X amount per 100g.  As the whole coconut was MUCH less (CHF2.95) I put back the bag of cut and chose a whole one (shaking it carefully next to my ear to see which one had more milk inside).   I finally poked a screwdiver through one of its "eyes" two days ago and found it was sour!  Wah!!!  I went and got a hammer and opened it up and it was all nasty inside - I didn't bother bringing it back inside as it was a bit smelly and half an hour later looked out and there was a Blue Jay busy with one half and 2 slugs happily chomping away at the other!   We were going to take it back today and complain but the birds LOVE it, so, expensive birdfood it may be, they deserve it!  Today a large black dog carted the one half off before I could do anthing about it.  The other is on the table outside where the dog can't get to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment