Wednesday, January 30, 2013

What else Can Possibly Go Wrong, Go Wrong, Go Wrong?

While I'm laid up with stupid leg in plaster and both leg muscles feeling as if I've been working out at the gym for hours at a time, OAP took the car into town to get a few things - and the WHEEL FELL OFF!!!!!!!!

It had been squeaking badly for some time and last visit to Joburg I took it into Honda instead of having a couple of hours browsing the Mall.  They put it up on the ramp and then called me and said it was unroadworthy and I should call a tow truck to get us back to Honda Rustenburg.  SO, of course, we drove back to Rustenburg and R, scoffing at the scare tactics just put out by some pimply mechanic to make me spend tons of money with them, drove it into Rustenburg next day to see HIS mechanic.  His mechanic scoffed at the idea of the wheel falling off but said that it DID need work done and ordered the parts.  Since then it's made 4 more trips into Rustenburg including the one on Monday where I had X/Rays and then got my leg put in plaster.   I suppose I must be grateful the wheel didn't come off THEN!

Anyhoo - OAP drove off gaily yesterday and then phoned about an hour later to say the front left wheel had come off just as he turned a corner SLOWLY thank heavens and he now needed a flat bed truck to take car to his mechanic - yes, the one who said it wouldn't come off!   I am a member of the AA - not OAP who feels it's a totally unnecessary expense!  So I phone the AA and tell them the story and the operator says they can only respond if I am in trouble so I put on a pathetic voice and tell him I am at home with a broken ankle and had to send OAP with my car to do the shopping, etc.  The AA go out and collect him and he had to sit at the mechanic's all day waiting for the parts and then getting a lift home with a friend who is temporarily living in the house just above us here in Utopia.   I suppose it could have been worse: like ME driving, or on Monday when I'd just been put in plaster, or at speed on the highway on our way into or out of Joburg!  So here we sit with no Honda and only OAP's old Merc which we can't drive further than the end of the road!



No comments:

Post a Comment