Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Getting my ducks in a row

  I’m trying to get ready for our overseas trip as well as expecting Belgian visitors day after tomorrow. As usual I write out a long list of our assets which includes bank account details (pins, passwords, etc.) and I have come to the conclusion that it is just easier NOT to die!

For most of the details I’ve said “look in my Little Red Book” (OAP calls it my Bible!) but then suddenly I realized that I take the Little Red Book with me so if the plane goes down so does the book! Likewise the cell phone which also has all my details of everyone I know and which is a back up for the Little Red Book. And writing out all the pernickety details of how to get into a bank account just goes against the grain! What if Eldest Daughter’s house gets burgled and the baddies get all my details? What do we do about the properties not in South Africa? I think the kids are supposed to go overseas taking with them proof that they are my kids and carrying a copy of our death certificate!

My tendency is to say “Oh bother, it’s too much trouble” and just leave it for another day, but part of me says “Just put it down on paper and let them deal with it when the time comes”.

If we can just hang on for another year we will have consolidated a bit and it will be less awkward, but having said that, OAP has just opened yet another bank account – this time with Capitec (the people’s bank!) because, hmmm, not sure why but it made him happy so what the heck!

So I have decided to stay on for another 20 years until I am an old, miserable git that they can’t wait to get rid of! Maybe they could incarcerate me in the cellar of You Know Where with the Flaming Salamanders and leave me to haunt the house for the next couple of hundred years!





No comments:

Post a Comment