Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Hairy legs

Has anyone any idea how long leg hair will grow if left to its own designs?   Mine is about half an inch long on my right leg after 5 weeks in plaster!  I only know because I am in an interim period of crepe bandage before the next plaster is applied tomorrow.  I am able to peep down inside the dressing and can see - a GORILLA'S leg!!!  DIsgusting!!!   I started shaving my legs when I was 15 and have never seen hairs on them since!  Even when I had jaundice I didn't have hair like this!  Maybe it grows better when its under cover?   Tomorrow I have the stitches/staples removed and a plaster cast applied and I hope its more comfortable than this odd half cast I have on which feels as if I have iron manacles (manicles?) around my ankle.  Last night I drifted off to sleep (with the aid of a pill) imaging only too vividly how slaves must have felt.   Doesn't matter how I lie, sit, stand it seems to rub on the ankle bone where I had the screw put in.  OAP pointed out that it's probably the ends of each broken bone rubbing together where they are screwed together but this is such an awful thought that I prefer the manacle/manicle one!

But if you want an even worse picture imagine this:  night before last we had a centipede in the bed!  Twice I felt it crawl on me and you wouldn't believe how quick I can get out of bed when I need to!  The first time I thought it was maybe a moth or a Christmas beetle but the second time (about 5am) I saw it - about 4 inches long, flat and red/brown with zillions of legs!  It whipped off into the folds of the bedclothes and OAP had no choice but to get up, shake out each bit of bedclothes and then spray.   He then admitted that it had crawled on him in the night but he couldn't be bothered to do anything about it!  Those things STING!!!!   When the grandchildren were little they always wanted to make their beds in the dormer window areas upstairs - but luckily when it came to bedtime (and dark) they wanted to get into OUR bed.  Problem with the dormer windows was I occasionally found a centipede in there under the mat or whatever had been left in there.  I think that's because there is so much wildlife inside the skin of the dormer - there's a family of squirrels and a flock of bats just for starters and their droppings are a smorgasbord for centipedes who hunt there looking for breakfast, lunch and dinner!  So every now and then one comes inside the house - i'm sure by accident but nevertheless it's IN.   Now the one in the bed has still not been found and the spray never got it unless it dragged all 100 legs off somewhere to die 'cause I got on the floor yesterday with the flashlight and looked under the bed and didn't see it lying, one hundred legs in the air, dead!  That means it's still here somewhere and hopefully NOT inside my leg thingie which, to a centipede, would make a wonderful dark and hairy nesting place!!!  Shudder!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment