Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Was I always this stupid?

The bathroom door lock suddenly jammed - in the open position - which made it irritating as the door wouldn't stay closed while I was on the loo. After 3 days I decided OAP wasn't going to do anything about it so I got a screwdriver and unscrewed the handle from the one side and from the base plate on the edge of the door and removed the whole offending assembly. I knew we had a replacement lock assembly somewhere and made the mistake of asking OAP who immediately insisted he could fix it with a little oil. Half an hour later he refitted it into the door and screwed it closed and said "Voila!" I should have known but instead (Ithink my brain has gone a little soft) I WENT INTO THE BATHROOM WITH HIM!!! What WAS I thinking? Snap!! He shut the door and said "see it shuts properly now?" and jokingly I asked if it opened properly too - and it didn't! So there we were "Oh dear WHat can the matter be? Two OAPs locked in the lavatory!!! Lucky for us Elias (our helpful worker) was working for us that day but unlucky for us he was 3 floors UP in the attic! BUT lucky for us he has a cell phone (doesn't everyone?) and OAP had his so he rang him and told him to come and help us. Then followed half an hour of OAP trying to instruct Elias, whose English is not marvellous and his brain was a bit fried from something he smoked at lunch, in which tools to fetch from the store and how to get us out! In the end we had to take the door of its hinges - from OUR side with the pair of us bickering and squabbling as only we can do - and would you believe? OAP still insisted on using the same lock - only he confessed that a "thingy" had fallen out when he fixed it the first time and now he would replace that bit and VOILA it worked properly this time!! Now we have had so much rain - non stop from the 3rd of January - that the door has swollen and wont shut at all!

1 comment:

  1. ahahahhaha. I am looking forward to wedded bliss then into frail care for the both of you!

    ReplyDelete