Friday, December 16, 2011

Hello? Anyone out there?

What's happened to everyone - why you not blogging? And why, when I have just learnt where your comments are (well done Sal!) can I not upload a picture to my blog? There used to be a logo that I clicked on but the site looks different and that logo has gone with no options.
I've justhad a lovely week with both the grandchildren - 10 is a smashing age: yound enough to still listen to Gran and think the sun shines out of her proverbial but old enough not to be watched and kept entertained constantly! Old enough that I could allow them to go down to the river below the house and keep a promise not to go in till Grandad or I went down. Old enough to go and read for a bit when I got tired and needed a bit of time out. Old enough to play happily together until NOT and then seperate and do something alone until the need to be together overcame the slight that had been thrown! But yound enough to still need Gran to go first upstairs in the dark! Young enough to still need hugs and kisses - oh those soft little arms wound around ones neck make tears come to my eyes! Young enough to enjoy a bedtime story: Around the World in 80 Days. Young enough to cry bitterly when hurt and then for Gran to kiss it and make it better (we had a rock dropped on a toe, a broken elbow - not! when she fell out of a hammock and numerous thorns in feet (I told you to wear your crocs!). Young enough to creep into bed with us during a thunderstorm and then I had to carry her back to bed after it was over - nearly breaking my back! She didn't remember it next morning! He must have been awake but said he wasn't bothered by the lightning and thunder (macho?) but he saw me silhouetted against the window as I sat up in bed playing Nintendo till the storm was over, so he was definitely awake! Young enough to need sunscreen applied - they were fine, I got burned! Young enough to take joy in making dams, finding tadpoles and baby crabs, picking me bunches of wild flowers and grasses and leaping from a rock into the pool below the house. We took them on a 4 hour hike up the mountain in blustery chilly weather - perfect for a walk. We spent a morning in the local shopping mall where we played Deal or No Deal in the video arcade!
And now they are gone and the house feels so empty (I think Grandpa is OK with that!) so I will now give him lots of attention and hope the kids come again soon.

4 comments:

  1. Yes we are out here. As usual you have provided great insight as to the fabulous part of being a Grandparent. Great when they get older too and are still under the impression that with age comes intelligence and come for advice and assistance or perhaps just an ear to listen.
    The Saffachick may be able to provide more clues as to the photo placement because we definitely need them.
    Enjoy the festivities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, your descriptions are spot on and I am young enough to want to be there and take part! I want to find tadpoles and keep them and then find their 'springs' on the path when they get stepped on. I want to jump from the rock into the pool. I promise not to climb into bed with you when there is a storm, but I want to stand at the window and watch it. Will you teach me to play video games in the arcade please? I am still very childish!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, something worked properly with my 'comment' this time and it was easy! Perhaps it just need a bit of time to get used to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm here - I just would rather read than blog lately...

    Loved your description of being Granny! Being Mum is close, but with all the crappy stuff too ;-)

    ReplyDelete