Tuesday, July 24, 2012

New Job Prospects

I just found this post in my drafts section - it brought it all back to me so I decided to post anyway even if it was months ago!

I have decided that if OAP and I hit the poverty line, I will become a Hotel Inspector!  Actually, I would happily do it for free right now.  Here we are in Upington - this place really is the arse-end of South Africa - and yet it was impossible to get a room for the night under R600!  OAP really objected to that and we had just decided to drive on to the next town (like heck! The next town is Kakamas which is 145km away and it was already dark) when we saw a place called Azalea Guest Lodge.  We phoned and talked the owner down to R350.  I now understand why.  At first glance it looked nice and we could bring the car in where our tons of stuff (we don't travel light) would be safe.  Then OAP made like a very old man so the owner's husband carried our car fridge into the unit and plugged it in and then went home to nurse the hernia he had suddenly developed!  I unpacked the fridge into the one in the unit and mopped out the milk that had spilled - no use crying about THAT! OAP went for a shower only to find the bracket holding it to the wall broken so he used it in one hand while soaping with the other.  I then went to shower and totally flooded the bathroom as the jet hit the wall at the end of the bath and water cascaded everywhere.  I was washing my hair and was totally oblivious.  Serves them right as there were no towels (luckily we had two small gym towels in our bags).  Then the one and only bedside light wouldn't switch on and after much plugging and unplugging we decided the bulb was gone.  No other bulbs in the house as, can you believe it, all the other lights are strip neon tubes!  TV is the limited bouquet sort so I missed Strictly Come Dancing and Downton Abbey - outrage!  What else is wrong?  Well the tiles are chipped, the fittings are plastic, the furniture is mismatched and saggy.  The mattress is saggy so God help my back in the morning.  There's gaps in the walls, saggy stained ceilings and although it's superficially clean I can see grime in every corner and hairs everywhere - oh yuk! 

No comments:

Post a Comment